Monday, May 30, 2011

Chalk It Up


I'm chalking this scrappy pillow up to experience. Next time I make 60 degree string triangles, I'll use them for a project that won't require me to cut so many off to make it a specific size. I'll probably use fabrics and colors more strategically, too. A little more contrast between blocks would help.I decided to use the blocks to practice something on my to do list - an invisible zipper in a quilted pillow. Katie has a wonderful tutorial. I need to try this a few more times. My zipper tape shows a little. I also want to do her tip of using muslin to create a lining for your pillow. Lots of lessons learned on this, but it's kind of crazy and fun on this cloudy day.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think it looks great Alex. I think it's all about giving it a go. Of course that theory doesn't apply to zippers - for me! ;) I HATE ZIPPERS!

Marg said...

It looks good Alex, I love the black and white dot border, although I see what you mean with the contrast. Imagine if you had made a whole quilt and then realised that, at least you have a really nice pillow now, with a bonus of practicing how to put in an invisible zipper.

CitricSugar said...

Love it! Thank you, too, for your advice the other day. :-)

Carla said...

I like the blendiness (is that a word?) of your blocks! Great job, Alex!

rilojane said...

YES YES YES!!! I love this! I've been collecting my scraps for a very long time with the hopes to find the right project for them... This is totally it.
Thank you so much for posting this!
And I love the randomness of your triangles. It makes my eye dance around (in a good way) and explore the whole piece. I really like the choice of backing, and the idea of an invisible zipper? Fab.

Anonymous said...

That looks super and I really like the looks of it! It's fun to learn some new things as you go along.

Anonymous said...

That looks super and I really like the looks of it! It's fun to learn some new things as you go along.

Jenny @ Anything Pretty said...

I think this pillow is super cute! And I hear you on the zipper thing...I spent a lot of time today ripping seams around one. I am with Farmyard Crafts....I hate zippers!