Monday, September 10, 2012

Beginnings

I've been sketching and pattern drafting for the beginnings of a commissioned quilt.  A lovely etsy customer asked me to make a quilt for her bedroom that is funky and original with a nod to the traditional art form.  All I need to do is be sure the colors fit into her space.  Talk about an offer I couldn't refuse, not to mention that I have a soft spot for chocolate, cream, and ice blue (Kona chocolate, Kona snow, and Kona Lake).
I've toyed with the idea of an entirely improvisational quilt, but this link shape popped into my mind when I was sketching. It is fairly simple to achieve with a few modified drunkard's path blocks, although it definitely requires precision piecing.
I used Kate Conklin's video tutorial for piecing curves without pinning.  My test block is a win.  Now to finesse the overall quilt pattern and decide if I like it enough to make more of these!

7 comments:

giddy99 said...

I certainly like the test block and that color combo! Can't wait to see the rest of it!

felicity said...

Oh my this looks wonderful!

Kelly O. said...

that block is gorgeous! looks tedious though :)

Rachel at Stitched in Color said...

I think it's beautiful!

Amy Friend said...

This will be great!

**nicke... said...

it is going to be beautiful! keep going!

Melissa said...

Instagram is so addicting, I love it! Such a great way to share without having to sit at a computer and plan an entire blog post. I have two little boys too (2 yrs and 8 months). How do you get any sewing done without them tearing up the house or sticking them in front of the tv? I'm cutsewpresslove on istagram :^)