Monday, September 22, 2014

Improvising Tradition

I've been anticipating this post for over two years, as I have been in the process of writing my first book.  I'm so excited to finally be able to share it with you!  Improvising Tradition: 18 Quilted Projects Using Strips, Slices and Strata will be available November 27th.


The book teaches several improvisational techniques, step by step, pairing them with traditional skills and methods. It is my hope that this book will give you the tools you need to create your own improvisational quilts, embracing an element of spontaneity while building on the traditional techniques you already know.
I'm also thrilled to be able to give you some sneak peeks of projects in the book, over the coming weeks.  The first is another shot of the cover quilt.  This is the Waterfall Quilt, along with its coordinating quilted sham.  This project set is from the Strata section of the book.
photo by Joe Hancock, copyright 2014

I've created a Facebook page for the book, if you'd like to stay up to speed on sneak peeks that way.  You can count on updates across all social media platforms, and the links to all of mine are now in the right sidebar.
 
 

16 comments:

felicity said...

Many congratulations!

Sarah @ mila+cuatro said...

Congratulations, Alex, it must be so fantastic to be so close to releasing your book. I can't wait to see it, I love your style.

FlourishingPalms said...

I'm so happy for you! The excitement of releasing one's own book is beyond compare. I know! This sounds like the perfect book for me, as I was a traditional quilter for many more years than I've been a modern quilter, and improv can be intimidating. Love the book cover! This looks great! Sorry I'm not in Facebook (and intentionally choose not to be) but will continue to keep up with your fun here on your blog, and through IG. All my best as you roll out all your hard work!

Cheryl said...

Congratulations! This looks like an excellent book.

Debbie said...

I'm so pleased for you and can't wait to see your book! Will definitely follow you on fb and everywhere else! Enjoy the moment!

Annabella said...

I love these projects already - fabulous news. Huge congratulations!

Margaret said...

Congratulations!! What a fantastic accomplishment! I'm so excited about this book - consider me "in line" to buy it as soon as it's released! I've only been quilting for a couple of years and have long admired your work and style of quilting. I'm anxious to learn from you and hopefully expand my skills.

Unknown said...

Congratulations!! What an achievement!! You have really sparked my interest with that beautiful photo too. Can hardly wait!

Amanda said...

Congratulations!! That is such an exciting announcement and accomplishment! Looking forward to seeing more.

alidiza said...

Congratulations!!! I always love whatever you're doing so I know this is going to be fantastic... already pre-ordered as a Christmas gift to myself:-)

Claudia/Ompompali said...

WOW! Congratulations! I'm looking forward to seeing more because I love everything you make!

Josée Carrier said...

Congratulations Alex! I'm looking forward seeing more projects from the book.

Leanne said...

I am so looking forward to your book, you know how much I love your quilts. This quilt is stunning.

Krista Schneider said...

yay alex!! the book looks so amazing, i can't wait to get a copy. congrats!

Marg said...

Congratulations Alex, that's fantastic news.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations, it looks like it's going to be a great book, and I know it will be an exciting time.